The Cranston Public Library has a growing local history collection available at the Central Library with other special collections available at select branch locations.
The library's location history collections include town histories, maps, newspaper clippings, Cranston city phone directories, Cranston Tax Rolls, select Cranston High School yearbooks and other resources.
The library also subscribes to the Rhode Island Historical Society magazine Rhode Island History and the Rhode Island Genealogical Society journal RI Roots.
Online archive featuring keyword searchable local history collections. Includes Cranston Herald and other historic newspapers from 1885-1977. Additional newspaper archives from 1977-2016 are available separately from inside the library only. Powered by Advantage Preservation and funded by the Champlin Foundation.
Digital archive of Cranston Herald and other historic local newspapers from 1977-2016. Must be accessed from inside the library. Additional archives from 1885-1977 available separately. Powered by Advantage Preservation and funded by the Champlin Foundation.
The Cranston Public Library has extensive holdings of historical Cranston newspapers in print and microfilm. The library's holdings include:
- Cranston City Times (1921-1925, microfilm)
- Cranston Herald (1936-2016, microfilm)
- Cranston Leader (1889-1890, microfilm)
- Cranston Mirror (1969-1991, microfilm)
- Cranston Monthly (1999-2006, in print)
- Cranston News (1922-1933; 1936-1939, microfilm)
- Cranston Today (1973-1975, microfilm)
- Howard Times (1885-1905, microfilm)
- Neighborhood News (1930-1931, microfilm)