The Cranston Public Library has limited capacity to accept donations. We will only accept donations of material published in the previous 10 years, in good condition. We will only accept up to 2 boxes of materials per patron per visit.
All donations become the property of the library and cannot be returned. Donations may be added or removed from our collection following the criteria of the library collection development policy. Donations may also be sold in the library book sale.
We will accept the following materials in good condition only:
- Contemporary hardcover and paperback books
- Compact discs in original cases
- DVDs in original cases
- Unabridged books on CD in original packaging
We will not accept the following:
- Any materials that have mold, odors, or stains
- Reader’s Digest condensed books
- Magazines or newspapers of any kind
- Vinyl record albums
- Cassettes (VHS, audio) of any kind
- Computer games and software
- Computers, eReaders and other electronic items
- Puzzles, games, and toys, including stuffed animals
- Office supplies
- Activity books
- Artwork (For more information on donations of artwork, please see the Cranston Public Library Art Donations policy.)
If you need a receipt for tax purposes, the library will provide one. Federal regulations prohibit the library from giving estimates of value for donated materials.
The library cannot pick up donations. Donations are accepted at library locations during normal business hours. Do not leave donations in the library book drop.
Approved by the Cranston Public Library Board of Trustees 9/13/2017
Revised by the Cranston Public Library Board of Trustees 11/13/2019