CRANSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
BRANCH LIBRARIAN- OAKLAWN BRANCH
The Cranston Public Library is seeking an extraordinary candidate for the position of Librarian I: Branch Librarian - Oaklawn Branch. The Cranston Public Library is innovating and evolving library services to fulfill the needs of our changing and diverse community. CPL values a commitment to public service and believes in the professional development of our library staff. Come join our team!
This is a professional, supervisory position under the direction of the Library Director and the Assistant Library Director, responsible for the management and operation of the Oaklawn branch for the Cranston Public Library system. This is a 35 hour per week position with some nights, weekends and shifts at the Central Library required.
The Cranston Public Library (CPL) system consists of a Central library with five branch locations. CPL serves a population of 80,000 residents and is one of the busiest public libraries in Rhode Island. In 2016 CPL received the LibraryAware Community Award and in 2015 was named Library of the Year by the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Library and Information Studies. CPL is a member of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) consortium.
For more information on our library please visit: www.cranstonlibrary.org.
The Cranston Public Library is committed to creating and maintaining a staff that gives open expression to the Library’s organizational values and brings a rich diversity of peoples and talents to the accomplishment of the Library’s Mission.
The Cranston Public Library is an equal opportunity employer. The Library is committed to a policy of non-discrimination and equal employment opportunity to all qualified applicants and employees regardless of race or color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, age, country of ancestral origin, or other protected class status.
$46,527.88; $48,368.02 after six-month probationary period
Full benefits package including vacation, sick time, dental insurance, health insurance, life insurance and retirement plan.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
- One year of public library experience
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Manages branch operations.
- Participates in selecting and training enthusiastic staff.
- Supervises, schedules, and evaluates branch staff.
- Plans, conducts, and evaluates programs for all ages.
- Builds, manages and promotes extraordinary collections matching community interests.
- Analyzes the community’s needs and plans branch program of service accordingly.
- Develops strong partnerships between library and other appropriate school and community organizations.
- Provides assistance directly to library users on the use of library services. Substitutes for other professional staff in the library system as needed.
- Contributes to the youth services team's efforts to plan and evaluate system-wide collections and services.
- Incorporates literacy instruction into programming and services and serves as a community expert on reading promotion and literacy development.
- Coordinates data collection for statistical reports to administration.
- Prepares of displays and exhibits.
- Operates, troubleshoots, and provides instruction on all library-owned technology.
- Stays informed about professional and community developments affecting the library and librarianship. Participates in continuing education opportunities within and beyond the library system.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Commitment to outstanding public service.
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and tools of library science in general and public library service in particular.
- Knowledge of administrative theories and practices including supervision and evaluation of the work of others.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Ability to resolve conflict with staff and library users.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative in improving existing work techniques and procedures.
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Experience with integrated library systems.
- Knowledge of current technological applications for information access. Ability to utilize web-based and subscription databases.
- Basic skills with Microsoft Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Basic skills with Google Suite.
- Knowledge of current and emerging technologies; including social media, tablets and mobile devices
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Experience using Innovative Sierra ILS
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE Please submit a letter of interest and resume to Edward Garcia, Library Director at firstname.lastname@example.org Applications received by November 8, 2019 will receive first consideration.