MEETING ROOM POLICY
- Meeting rooms at all locations are available to civic, cultural, and educational organizations during library hours of opening. Meeting rooms are available regardless of the beliefs and affiliations of their members. Meeting rooms are not available for social gatherings, the benefit of private individuals, commercial purposes or fund-raising purposes.
- Use of a meeting room does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group's policies or beliefs by the Cranston Public Library.
- Groups applying to use meeting rooms must fill out a Meeting Room Request Form.
- A library-sponsored program has priority over other uses of the meeting rooms. In the event of a scheduling conflict, if possible, groups will be given one month's notice. Groups are allowed to book rooms up to 3 months in advance.
- Meeting rooms should not be used in any way that interferes with the operation of the library or which threatens the safety of library patrons. Meeting room attendees must adhere to the library’s Code of Conduct.
- The Cranston Public Library assumes no liability for organizations or their meeting attendees using the library facilities, or for theft or damage to vehicles or personal property while on the premises. The library is not responsible for equipment, clothing, or other items left on its premises at the close of a meeting.
- Groups are responsible for paying for any breakage, damage to library property, or any inordinate amount of cleaning resulting from the use of the rooms.
- Extended and exclusive use of the library's meeting rooms for cultural and/or educational purposes, for example, a theatre engagement or art exhibit may be arranged under a separate agreement with the library director.
- The director, in consultation with the group's liaison, will determine the necessity of police presence. The group will cover any costs incurred by the use of police details.
- All publicity shall carry the name of the organization sponsoring the program. Cranston Public Library shall not be identified or implied as a sponsor without the consent of the library director. All press releases & flyers bearing the library name must be sent to the library for approval prior to release.
- Fees may be charged for the use of our meeting rooms. All fees are payable one week in advance of the event. Checks should be made payable to: Cranston Public Library. Please refer to the Meeting Room Request Form for fee schedule.
- Groups requesting the use of the meeting rooms will designate on the request form a contact person who shall be its formal representative while the room is being used. It is understood that inquiries concerning the meeting in question may be referred to the contact person.
- Simple refreshments may be served in meeting rooms, with prior approval, provided groups use their own supplies and equipment and leave the area in a clean and orderly condition. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited. No food in the Central Library Seminar Room; covered drinks allowed. Open flames and candles are prohibited.
- Room capacity, as determined by the fire marshal, will be observed at all times.
- Groups are required to vacate meeting rooms fifteen minutes prior to library closing.
- Library-related or municipal-support groups may be exempted from some of the regulations at the discretion of the library director.
Central Library Criteria
- Due to the numerous requests for meeting space, continuing and repetitious use of the meeting rooms by a single group or organization must be limited. Generally, the maximum allowable usage will be once per quarter for the Meeting Room and once per month for the Seminar Room.
- The Seminar Room may be booked by groups of 2-12 people for up to 2 hours at a time.
- Use of the main meeting room on Saturdays and Sundays is generally not permitted due to exhibit use of the facility and the lack of staff to service the facility. The main meeting room is generally not available in June, July, and August.
- Either the library director or the assistant library director must approve the use of one of the Central Library's meeting rooms.
- The Cranston Public Library requests that groups using the Central Library's meeting rooms park in the library's upper parking lot.
William Hall Library Criteria
- Generally, the maximum allowable usage of William Hall Library meeting spaces is limited to once per month. More frequent use of a meeting space must be approved on a case-by case basis by the Branch Librarian.
- Admission fees for performances and events may be charged. These fees shall not limit access to individuals who may be unable to pay but who wish to attend.
- Theater companies or other groups shall not attach scenery or stage sets to walls or floors. They shall not remove lights, stage draperies or other equipment without written permission. Any stage sets should be covered to protect floors.
- Any removal of the piano from the stage area must be done by professional piano movers. Organizations using William Hall Library meeting space are required to pay for removal and return of the piano to the stage.
- Performances, events and meetings are limited to hours when the library is open unless prior permission is given. Meeting spaces may be used for theater or performance rehearsals during the hours when the library is open.
- Organizations using William Hall Library meeting space and their participants/audience members are not allowed access to other parts of the building unless prior permission is given.
Approved by the Cranston Public Library Board of Trustees 4/15/15