CRANSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY
Come work for an award-winning library system that values a commitment to public service and supports the professional development of its library staff. The Cranston Public Library is seeking an extraordinary candidate for the position of Librarian I: Cataloging Librarian. This position is supervised by the Assistant Director. The Cataloging Librarian is responsible for the original and attach/copy cataloging of all formats of library materials for the Cranston Public Library system. This is a full time 35 hour per week union position and is located at the Central Library.
The Cranston Public Library (CPL) system consists of a central library with five branch locations. CPL serves a population of 80,000 residents and is one of the busiest public libraries in Rhode Island. In 2016 CPL received the LibraryAware Community Award and in 2015 was named Library of the Year by the University of Rhode Island Graduate School of Library and Information Studies. CPL is a member of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) consortium.
For more information on our library please visit: www.cranstonlibrary.org.
SALARY & BENEFITS
Salary Range begins at $44,070.92; $45,813.89 after a six-month probationary period.
Full benefits package including vacation, sick time, dental insurance, health insurance, life insurance and retirement plan.
STATEMENT OF DUTIES
Under general supervision of the Assistant Director, the cataloging librarian is responsible for the original- and attach- cataloging of all formats of library materials for the Central Library and its five branches. This is a full-time 35-hour per week union position.
- Master’s Degree in Library Science from an institution accredited by the American Library Association.
- One year of experience in public library cataloging services.
- Ability to travel to required locations in a timely manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Provides exemplary customer service.
- Manages the technical services process for all materials from the placement of orders through the processing and distribution of those materials.
- Manages Technical Services department staff in maintaining technical services work flow.
- Trains personnel assigned to Technical Services.
- Assists and coordinates collection processing with Adult Services and Youth Services as needed.
- Works with Ocean State Libraries (OSL) staff to conform to OSL cataloging policies.
- Monitors OSL communications for updates and changes to cataloging policies and procedures.
- Creates and maintains documentation pertaining to technical services procedures.
- Stays informed about professional and community developments affecting the library and librarianship. Participates in continuing education opportunities within and beyond the library system.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and tools of library science in general and cataloging, in particular.
- Knowledge of principles of AACR2, MARC 21, and Dewey classification schemes.
- Experience or training in cataloging and classification of library materials.
- Knowledge of authority control concepts and practices.
- Knowledge of RDA cataloging standards.
- Ability to manage and direct the work of others.
- Ability to function as a member of a team to achieve library goals and objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative in improving existing work techniques and procedures.
- Ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials.
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights.
- Experience with integrated library systems.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of office applications.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Experience cataloging with Innovative Millennium/Sierra
- Experience using MarcEdit
- Experience with OCLC or another Cataloging Utility and/or OCLC.
This job description is intended to be a general guide to the duties and responsibilities of the job and is not intended to list every possible task that the staff member may be called upon to perform.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Resumes & cover letter received by Friday, June 2, 2017 will receive first consideration. Apply to Edward Garcia, Library Director at email@example.com